On a chilly, wintry day here in the Northeast, what better time to make a fuzzy, warm thank you card with bright happy colors?
Today’s card features some of fun dimension and lots of color using felt, ink and sequins… which by the way, “felt and sequins” is the theme for this month’s Clean and Simple Challenge over at the CAS-ual Friday’s blog. I am participating in the challenge, and I absolutely loved the idea of pairing both of these together… talk about texture!
To start off, I began by creating the felt balloons… cutting three squares of felt to fit the Paper Smooches “Balloons” Wise Dies, I colored the felt by pressing my dye ink pads directly onto the felt.
- Color your felt before you die cut to prevent frayed edges.
- The key to this is light pressure. When pressing your ink pad onto the felt, apply it lightly, as harder pressure will result in creating splotches.
- After coloring your felt, apply some heat for about 10-15 seconds with your heat gun to dry the ink up.
Once the felt was colored, I die cut the balloons with the heart from the set, and attached some grey baker’s twine behind each balloon for the “strings” before setting them aside to dry.
To create the background of this card, I used six different Tim Holtz distress inks and a polka dot stencil. Coloring in each dot one-by-one with the distress inks and an ink blending tool, I soon had a beautiful rainbow background! Applying some Wink of Stella glitter on a few random dots for some added interest, and some white faux stitching to finish off, I adhered the polka dot paper to my card base with dimensional foam tape.
Cutting a 2 3/4″ square out of white cardstock, I did a bit of stamping before attaching my balloons. I stamped some scattered polka dots in the area behind the balloons using two stamp sets and some gray ink. The sentiment is from Hero Art’s “Everyday Sayings” collection and is stamped in black ink. A scalloped patterned paper sqaure is layered behind this panel.
And finally, now that my balloons were dry, I attached them each to my card with foam tape and added a bit of rhinestones and sequins on and around the balloons.
I absolutely love the mix of texture and dimension this card brings by combining the softness of the felt with the shimmer of the sequins and glitter… and the happy colors make this perfect for brightening someone’s day after they did something especially nice for you!
Thanks for stopping by today! Happy Creating! :)
- Recollections White cardstock
- Recollections “Home Basics” 6×6 paper pad
- Hero Arts “Everyday Sayings” stamp set
- Simon Says Stamp “Celebrate” stamp set
- Paper Smooches “Stamptember 2014” stamp set
- Paper Smooches “Balloons” Wise Dies
- Tim Holtz distress inks: Festive Berries, Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey, Peeled Paint, Faded Jeans and Dusty Concord
- Heidi Swapp “Polka Dot” stencil
- Uniball Signo white pen
- Wink of Stella clear glitter
- red, green, purple, black and gray dye inks